2020- Scientific Programmer, University of Amsterdam
2018- Research Fellow, Sussex Humanities Lab, University of Sussex
2015-18 Application scientist, Centre for Big Data Analysis
2012-18 Group leader, Language and Language Technology Group
2010-18 Senior researcher , Uni Research Computing, Bergen
2008-09 Research Fellow, School of Computing, Dublin City University
2006-09 Independent researcher; part of Jigsee start-up.
2000-06 Lecturer, Dept. of Computing, University of Surrey
1997-99 Full-time PhD student, Dept. of Computing, University of Surrey
1994-97 Researcher, Dept. of Computing, University of Surrey
1993-94 MSc Neural Computation, University of Stirling (EPSRC scholarship)
1989-93 MA Linguistics, University of Edinburgh
Summary of Experience
- 20 years developing and using corpus analysis techniques in interdisciplinary research projects to improve access to digital media archives and to develop new modes of humanistic and social science inquiry.
- Authored and co-authored 42 refereed papers (mainly international conferences) and book chapters in corpus linguistics, narratology, multimodal semiotics, audiovisual translation and informatics (natural language processing, multimedia computing, artificial intelligence).
- Given 28 keynote lectures, talks and invited seminars in United Kingdom, Spain, USA, Canada, Australia, Mexico and Japan.
- Formed national and international research collaborations across diverse academic disciplines, and have collaborated with the BBC, Tate Gallery, Philips and Banff New Media Institute.
- Led research groups. Had management responsibilities – including being PI and Co-I – on nine EPSRC, EU and NFR projects.
- Supervised three PhD students to completion, with one in progress; external examiner for four PhDs.
- Strong software development skills, especially in Java, Python and Perl.
- Reviewer for journals and conferences in computing (IEEE, AAAI, ACM), semiotics and audiovisual translation. Project reviewer for Canadian Foundation for Innovation and UK’s EPSRC.
- Developed and delivered five undergraduate and postgraduate modules on multimedia information retrieval, systems analysis and design, and digital libraries.
- Carried out senior administrative roles: Director of Admissions, Director of Postgraduate Research, Chair of Undergraduate Board of Studies, Professional Training Year Officer.